Monday, November 17, 2014

The Ampere Theater

The Ampere Theater was at 237 North 18th Street. The building is now used as a church.

A 1917 article in Music Trade Review says an Ampere Theater corporation was formed at 380 Main St with $125,000 in capital



                                                     
                                                      Below: from a 1943 Film article

In a 1945 movie theater guide, The Ampere is listed as having only 430 seats.

Joseph E. Rubenstein

March 07, 2006|The Morning Call
Joseph E. Rubenstein, 90, of Bethlehem, formerly of Wilson, died March 5. He was a son of the late Hyman and Bessie (Rubin) Rubenstein. He and his wife, Shirley Sobelson, were married for 67 years in August. He was a graduate of Ithaca College and served in Europe during World War II as a staff sergeant in the 102nd Ozark Infantry Division. He owned Ampere Theater, East Orange, N.J., and later worked for The Strand Shop, Bangor. He was a member of Temple Covenant of Peace, Easton, where he served as vice president and trustee for many years. He was a past president of the local Bnai Brith and the Jewish Community Council. He was a chairman of the Israel Bond and United Jewish Appeal drives. He was a member of Lafayette Masonic Lodge and the Jewish War Veterans, and was a volunteer for Easton Hospital.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Palace Movie Theater

From  the July 22, 1916 issue of Moving Picture World





                                              Below: St Petersberg Times, Oct 4, 1930


 The Palace auditorium was bisected by the city line between Orange and East Orange, and prior to repeal of some of the old Sunday Blue Laws, the left side of the auditorium had to be roped off on Sundays, as East Orange forbade the showing of movies on Sunday and all seating had to be within the Orange city limits!

Oct 2, 1930, The Olean Times Herald, Olean, NY

KEEP SUNDAY LAW WITH ROPE LENGTH (By United Press) Orange, N. J., Oct. 2.--The Palace moving-picture theater, which stands on the dividing line between this town and East Orange, with half of Its seats in one town and the other half In the other, will on future Sundays preserve the piety of East Orange with a length of rope. Orange Is legalizing Sunday moving pictures. But East Orange stands firmly against them, and Mayor Charles H. Martens of East Orange has announced he will rope off his half of the theater "to protect East Orange from the affects of Sunday movies in Orange."





Monday, November 3, 2014

The Halsted Movie Theater

          The Halsted Theatre was on the north side of Central Avenue near the Halsted Street intersection.



Above: the photo and article are from an October 10, 1914 issue of the magazine  Reel Life

                                                           Below: circa 1920 letter




No mention of The Halsted (sometimes misspelled as Halstead) appears after the 1920 envelope above. It's possible that the name of the theater was changed or that it simply closed after the opening in 1925 of the much larger Hollywood Theater on Central Avenue several blocks away

Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Hollywood Movie Theater

The Hollywood Theater operated on Central Avenue near the South Harrison Street intersection from 1925 until the 1970's or 1980's. 


The theater had 1500 seats and, on May 16, 1940, hosted the world premier of the movie Edison the Man starring Spencer Tracy. (Tracy stayed around the corner on South Harrison at The Hotel Suburban while in town)



A New York Times article about the short-lived reopening of the Hollywood Theater in December, 2006


Saturday, November 1, 2014

Movie Theaters in East Orange

1) The Beacon/Strand,129 Main St, 1925-1965, 1200 seats

2) Hollywood634 Central Ave1925-late 1970's, 1500 seats (revived as a multiplex 12/2005, closed again 2007)

3) Ampere237 N. 18th St, 430 seats

4) Ormont/Lyceum508 Main St (the Masonic Temple)circa 1915-1970's?, 900 seats

5) Palace (called the U.S. Palace in its early years), 4 Main St. in Orange (with a portion in East Orange), 1915-circa 1980's, 1200 seats

6) Regent, 88 Main St, 1915-1926, 800 seats

7) Oxford, 500 seats; In 1926 the Oxford was taken over by an organization called the Arts Guild to present foreign films and experimental films. In 1928 it's listed as a theater for Avant-Garde/experimental films. It's possible that The Oxford was simply an existing theater renamed e.g. It may have been The Halsted Theater building;

8) Park, 600 seats, One of the only mentions of The Park is a listing as "closed" in a 1949 theater directory (No information is currently available on the location of The Park, but, since it had the same number of seats as The Brighton, which was near North Park St, it's possible that The Park was simply The Brighton renamed after 1930);

9) Brighton, Dodd Street near North Park St, mentioned in a 1918 and 1928 articles, 600 seats; A 1922 city directory has The Brighton at 387 Dodd St and a 1930 city directory has it at 409 Dodd Street. There is some evidence that it was eventually renamed The Park Theater.

10) Halsted Theater, 524 Central Avenue, mentioned in the Oct 10, 1914 issue of Reel Life and last mentioned in the May 18, 1918 Moving Picture World magazine

Below: from the 1928 "Yearbook of Motion Pictures." (The East Orange movie theaters were listed under Orange along with the Orange movie theaters)










A 1922 City plan for East Orange reported that the city had "six motion-picture theatres," but the 1922/23 film yearbook listed only 3 theaters in East Orange: The Palace, The Regent, and The U.S., but The Palace and U.S.are probably the same theater, so the list is confusing. The city plan may have also included The Ampere, The Halsted, and The Brighton even if they were closed at the time.

Below: from a 1945 "Film Daily Yearbook"





An April 26, 1913 issue of the New York Clipper reported that two permits were issued for theaters in East Orange: one for a 500 seat theater valued at $18,000 and one for an 850 seat theater valued at $80,000 owned by E.H. Fredericks and A.W. Edelmeyer.


Below: Oct 2, 1930, The Olean Times Herald, Olean, NY
KEEP SUNDAY LAW WITH ROPE LENGTH (By United Press) Orange, N. J., Oct. 2.--The Palace moving-picture theater, which stands on the dividing line between this town and East Orange, with half of Its seats in one town and the other half In the other, will on future Sundays preserve the piety of East Orange with a length of rope. Orange Is legalizing Sunday moving pictures. But East Orange stands firmly against them, and Mayor Charles H. Martens of East Orange has announced he will rope off his half of the theater "to protect East Orange from the affects of Sunday movies in Orange."

                                Below: From 1918 news articles in Moving Picture World


Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Llewellyn Park







Glenmont is located in Llewellyn Park, West Orange, the first romantically designed, planned residential community in the United States. The community was developed in the 1850's by Llewellyn Haskell, who had acquired 350 acres in West Orange, New Jersey, about fifteen miles from New York City. The architect Alexander Jackson Davis landscaped the park, which grew to 700 acres by the 1870's.
A Queen Anne style mansion with 29 rooms, Glenmont was designed by the architect Henry Hudson Holly. Edison purchased the Glenmont estate – 13.5 acres including house, barn, greenhouse, and furnishings – in January of 1886 for $125,000, half its estimated value.