Monday, January 9, 2012

Ampere Area, early 20th Century


Above: view is looking south down N. 16th St, across 4th Avenue; railroad tracks are behind the photographer and to his left; 4th Avenue railroad crossing is to the left.






Above: Morrow Brothers Grocery (1905-1967)


                                                           Morrow Brothers Grocery photos courtesy of Jane Morrow Israel


                                                                  Below: Interior of Morrow Brothers Grocery









Below: view NW across the tracks from the Crocker-Wheeler side 


Above: Springdale Avenue and North Maple Avenue





       Above and below: view is looking south down N. 16th St, across 4th Avenue; railroad tracks are behind the                                photographer and to his left; 4th Avenue railroad crossing is to the left.


                                               
                                                Below: Interior of Morrow Brothers Grocery

                        Above: view is looking west; Columbian School is to photographer's left.


          Above: North 22nd Street; view is looking south from Springdale Avenue toward 4th Avenue;
Columbian Playground is behind houses on the right

                                                Above: Crocker-Wheeler is behind the station



Above: Springdale Avenue and North Maple Avenue

                                      Below: looking south on North 18th Street from 4th Avenue





Eastern School Area, early 20th Century

In the 18th and 19th centuries, the area centered on the high ground of the Maple Avenue and Main Street intersection was called Peck's Hill or Pecktown. This historic area was destroyed about 1965 when Main St was relocated to make way for I-280.


Above: view is looking north across the bridge over the railroad;
building acoss the bridge to the right was named Calvary Baptist Church at the time of the photo,  home of an African-American congregation that took over the church in 1891 when the original white congregation built a new church at Main St and Hawthorne Ave, First Baptist Church of East Orange; the church in the photo had originally been established in 1837 as the First Baptist Church of Orange. The Eastern School property is behind homes that would be to the photographer's left 


Above: view is looking west on Main St toward Maple Avenue;
Grove Street Congregational Church is to the photographer's right




Above: Hollywood Avenue Fire Station (Eastern Hose Company #2) built about 1909; Grove Street Lackawanna Station is to photographer's right; 
steeple in left background is First Congregational Church

Above: Grove Street First Congregational Church, 1913, NE corner of Grove and Main; 
 photo is courtesy of East Orange Images of America by Bill Hart, Arcadia Publishing
 



The Palmer House was a boarding hotel on the NW corner of Main St and Maple Avenue








Above: Steuben Street
Below: New Street and Maple Avenue